Beavers was great fun last week, great to meet up with them again. We did outside cooking in small groups with multiple fires -I manned the marshmallows, but here was also one doing popcorn and one doing hot chocolate. These young scouts loved it & it felt like proper scouting again. All three of our children have to go, my lad will have been a scout for years before he even joins! I then went on to help older scouts . We met up in a small wood on the Malvern Hills, with a small camp fire burning, helping to show them how to prepare a chicken, all keen to have a go - unfortunately I couldn't come up with a rabbit, I only got told a few nights before and the hunting gods weren't smiling on me! Anyone who ever "worries about the youth of today" need to go give a bit of their time to the scouts, or just young people in general , I guarantee it'll put your mind at ease. Were you a scout? What was your favourite memory?
I'm never going to be great at homeschooling. I'm used to spending my days on my own these days rather than having someone (or three people) constantly asking me questions or saying me my name as they think it's gone too quiet.... But I have landed on a good idea, after lunch we have a half quiet reading time now the girls can read in their heads. The boy can either play or I'll read to him one of his animal reference books, but it's been a great bit of our day. Here I'm reading an old book "The Wheel Wrights Shop", my eldest is reading about different breeds of chickens and my middlest is reading Secret Seven. Bliss!
Last year my veg garden was a massive disappointment. It got over grown and got to the point where I didn't even like going in there in the summer. I'm determined to get it back to it's productive self, so I've set myself the task of getting it ready for spring byt spending half an hour a day in there* *Weather depending I've made a good start with this. I've found that setting the timer on my phone means I do just half an hour. This has worked well as it's not long enough to get bored (I normally listen to a book at the same time as well). I'm going through each bed in turn and digging out any weeds I see. I'm also slipping the slabs as some docks and nettles have got established between them. As I've done this I've been shocked by the number of slug eggs under there as well - I'm leaving the slabs up turned for a few days so I'm hoping birds will eat the eggs (or frost will kill them). Feels good to make a really good and early sta...
Comments
Post a Comment